Lyle the Leprechaun visited my brother and I every year. On March 17th I would wake up with a small jar of green glitter sitting next to my bed with a note from him saying, “Happy St. Patrick’s Day.” This glitter was everything. I’m not sure if I thought it was magic fairy dust or Lyle’s glitter eyeshadow, but I coveted it. And likely brought it along in the car as we went to McDonald’s to get our traditional Shamrock Shake.
20 years later and Lyle is still sending me goodies; however, it’s apparent he wanted me to get in shape this year with a Target tank and shamrock tube socks. Likewise, the McDonald’s Shamrock Shake was overdue for a healthy take so I concocted a protein version. That I will drink right after eating Lucky Charms…
Avocado Shamrock Protein Smoothie Recipe
My first attempt at making this included blending avocado with almond milk and freezing it as ice cubes. I thought I was a genius. Until realizing that one of the main reasons for the avocado is a creamy consistency (+ healthy fats). On the second round, I modified it by substituting half of a frozen banana.
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 cup Cake Batter MuscleEgg OR 1 cup almond milk + scoop of Vanilla protein powder
- 1 drop of peppermint extract OR 3 small mint leaves
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend!
- Note: I’ve been on a huge MuscleEgg kick and the cake batter flavor gives it extra sweetness. If you’re using alternatively using almond milk + protein powder, optionally include a couple drops of liquid Stevia.
- Another note: My roommate is growing fresh mint on our patio so I chopped up a few mint leaves, but peppermint extract works awesome.
P.S. Love you, Lyle…