My roommate is a badass Navy pilot. And a guacamole-guzzling vegetarian. So what do you do when she’s had a long work week consisting of early morning flights?
Seek savory – yet healthy – veggie dishes on Pinterest to enjoy over wine and chips with friends when she gets home. Cauliflower and lentil tacos were the perfect way to indulge on a Friday while not feeling like crap when we went on a run the next day.
Cauliflower and Lentil Tacos with Yogurt Chipotle Sauce
The following recipe was adapted from Cookie + Kate who is the master of making delicious vegetarian dishes, especially her Roasted Cauliflower and Lentil Tacos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, sliced into bite-sized florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ cup brown lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
Yogurt Chipotle Sauce
- ⅓ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 small, round corn tortillas
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- To roast the cauliflower: Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss cauliflower florets with enough olive oil to cover them in a light, even layer of oil. Season with salt and pepper and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet.
- Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway, until the florets are golden on the edges.
- Warm the olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic with a dash of salt for about 5 minutes, until the onions are softened and turning translucent.
- Add the tomato paste, cumin and chili powder and sauté for another minute, stirring constantly. Add the lentils and the vegetable broth or water. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.
- Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes to 45 minutes, until the lentils are tender and cooked through. Reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer.
- To make the yogurt chipotle sauce, combine the ingredients and set aside.
- Warm tortillas briefly in the oven.
- Top each tortilla with the lentil mixture, cauliflower, a little chipotle sauce along with some chopped cilantro.