True story: This recipe was my first time purchasing Nutella.
Another true story…
It’s currently 10:31 p.m. on Ash Wednesday evening and ashes are falling from my forehead onto my laptop keyboard as I erratically dance in my office chair to Florence + The Machine while on my second glass of red wine. Not counting the Blood of Christ.
My only hope is that my roommate’s not listening through the wall and wondering why I’m snapping my fingers like a Baby Boomer at a wedding reception.
Moments ago I received an email response from a guy in my Standup Comedy Class. This morning I inquired about a possible guest post on the unnatural nature of monogamy after he delivered a impeccable, candid sketch which touched on the topic on Monday.
I’m flattered that you would want me to contribute to your blog. I’ve been checking it out today, and it’s really honest and insightful. You have a very refreshing and fun approach.
“What stories did he read?” I couldn’t help but wonder. For the first time since writing them, I skimmed through past posts, and what I discovered was indeed honest and insightful. However, it felt like it was written by another girl. One who carved out meaningful time each week to reflect no matter how many hobbies she had recently taken up or the amount of calories there were to burn.
Blame the reciprocated email or the red wine, but I am currently on a writing frenzy that digs deeper than healthy recipes and offers insights like “My only real goal with dating is not finding which almond butter I want to eat forever but, rather, simply being open because what if something I didn’t know existed, like Nutella, happens?”
But since mixing Nutella + protein pancakes + fruit is pretty fucking incredible, below is a recipe you’ll want to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (Warning: Keep Advil handy if you do. A sugar headache occurred today at noon after living off them for the past 2 days.)
Mini Protein Pancake Kebabs
Props go to Brit + Co, the originators of the Nutella Pancake Kebab, for the genius idea of making mini pancakes plus fruit extra fun by stacking on a “I’m at a party” kebab. While celebrating a belated World Nutella Day, my roommate and I decided to opt for our favorite protein pancake recipe since global warming is blessing us with an earlier than normal swimsuit season in LA.
- 1 cup flour (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup protein powder (I used Nutra Summa Vanilla Pea Protein powder for a Vegan version)
- 1 cup water or almond milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Jar of Nutella
- 2 slices pineapple
- 2 kiwis
- 2 strawberries
- Kebab sticks
- Mix 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup protein powder and 1 tbsp baking powder in mixing bowl
- Stir in 1 cup of water or Almond Milk (I used water)
- On the stove over medium to high heat, place 1 spoonful at a time in pan to form the shape of mini pancakes. Since I’m not especially proficient in pancake flipping, I used 2 pans on the stove and poured 3 mini pancakes at a time.
- Allow the mini pancake to brown enough at the bottom that it is easy to lift off the pan. (I wish mini spatulas existed.) Flip to the other side until golden brown.
- Once the mini pancakes have cooled, smear with Nutella and sandwich like-sized mini pancakes together
- Slice fruit in chunk-sized pieces that can be stacked along with the mini protein pancakes
- Stack the mini protein pancakes and fruit on kebab sticks and enjoy!