New Years Eve. The evening of little miracles.
… is how a quote by author Beau Taplin begins. And he’s right.
5 years ago a little miracle certainly occurred when two best friends decided that at ripe old age of 23 we had outgrown our favorite place, the W Hotel. We sought a more sophisticated Scottsdale New Years Eve, something classier than falling down drunks. So we headed to the Montelucia Resort where fate introduced Brittany to David Frakes.
Another little miracle occurred the following week as Brittany listened to a voicemail – the first one she had received since 1999: “Hi Brittany, this is David Frakes calling. It’s Tuesday, January 3rd at 3:32 p.m. If you could give me a call back, my number is…” Despite the apprehension, she called back. And I’m so glad that she did.
Because these small miracles have produced a million more over the past 5 years and created countless memories between two of my closest friends.
10 Things That My Two Friends Have Taught Me “The One”
- He’s the one who shows her the world, despite her initial fears.
- She’s the one who actually enjoys it – from remote Chinese villages to Midwest cornfields.
- He’s the one who will throw away half his wardrobe after a little style talk.
- She’s the one who does it out of love and lets him keep his Crocs.
- He’s the one who will download pirated episodes of Animal Hoarders and Real Housewives.
- She’s the one who will watch football all day and drink beer at dives.
- He’s the one who edits law school essays and makes intros for her to pursue her dreams.
- She’s the one who packs up and moves if that’s what chasing his means.
- He’s the one who will still rage with her and teenagers at Coachella if they have the chance.
- She’s the one who will make him feel like a kid forever – as if it’s always their first dance.
Taplin’s New Years Eve quote concludes:
Peel away the exploding fireworks, roaring countdowns and ridiculous resolutions and what you are left with is hope. Small human hope. The hope of better days, of fresh starts, and perhaps, if you are very lucky, a kiss.
Cheers to small miracles, incredible luck and many more kisses!